Prayers for all Occasions, Needs, and Intentions
GODPARENTS...A SACRED RELATIONSHIP
A GODPARENTS PRAYER
O Lord Jesus Christ, You embrace children with the arms of Your mercy, and make them living members of Your Church; Give grace, I pray You, to my Godchild (he/she), to stand fast in Your faith, to obey Your word, and to abide in Your love; that, being made strong by Your Holy Spirit (he/she) may resist temptation, and may rejoice in the life that now is, and dwell with You in the life to come; through Your merits, O merciful Savior, who with the Father and the Holy Spirit lives and reigns, one God, forever and ever. Amen
SUGGESTIONS for GODPARENTS
Through the solemn promises you made to God, you are responsible for your Godchild. Yours is a sacred relationship from which there should come happiness and spiritual gain, both to you and to your Godchild.
In carrying out your trust the following suggestions may prove helpful:
1. Form the habit of praying regularly for your Godchild by name, especially at celebrations of the Eucharist
2. Support your Godchild in the practice of receiving Holy Communion regularly. If First Communion is celebrated in your Godchild's parish, be present and receive Communion on that day, if possible.
3. Encourage attendance by your Godchild at Church services; go along when possible.
4. Cultivate your Godchild's friendship. Multiply helpful contacts. Remember birthdays and baptismal anniversaries with appropriate letters and gifts.
5. When your Godchild is old enough, see that the child is enrolled in Church School and attends faithfully.
6. See that your Godchild has a Bible and Prayer Book and that they are used.
7. Remember your responsibility as a Sponsor for the Christian growth and education of your Godchild. Be prepared to discuss the Christian life with your Godchild whenever possible.
8.Teach your Godchild to look forward eagerly to Confirmation. By all means, be present at that service.
For A BIRTHDAY:
O God, look with favor, I pray, on my Godchild, (he/she), as another year begins. Grant that (he/she) my grow in wisdom and grace, and strengthen (his/her) trust in your goodness all the days of (his/her) life; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
For ANNIVERSARY Of BAPTISM:
Accept my prayers and thanks, O God, for my Godchild, (he/she), who was received into the household of God through Holy Baptism. Sustain (him/her), O Lord, in your Holy Spirit. Give (him/her) an inquiring and discerning heart, the courage to will and to persevere, a spirit to know and to love You, and the gift of joy and wonder in all Your works; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
For One About To Be CONFIRMED:
O God, who through the teaching of Your Son Jesus Christ prepared the disciples for the coming of the Comforter; make ready the heart and mind of Your servant, my Godchild, (he/she), who at this time is seeking to be strengthened by the gift of the Holy Spirit through the laying of hands, that drawing near with penitent and faithful heart, (he/she) may evermore be filled with the power of divine indwelling; through the same Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.